Thank you for registering for this event!
Please note the event will take place rain or sunshine.
We recommend that you arrive a few minutes earlier than the specified time in order to complete registration and receive your TD Tree Days t-shirt. There will be a brief welcome huddle where important information will be shared followed by instructions on how to properly plant the trees/shrubs.
Parking and Directions: Parking on Jonah Dr, Edelweiss Ave, Richmond Hill, ON L4E 4L9, CA. (please follow by laws, park on one side of the street)
A list of activities are:
- native tree and shrub planting placing mulch mats and mulch around each piece
- Citizen science data collection through TRCA's Young Tree and Shrub Monitoring and Maintenance Program (YTMP). A percentage of plants are tagged with a unique ID number and measurements and general health data are recorded. A maintenance strategy is put in place to provide best success of plants at restoration sites. Monitoring and maintenance is undertaken over a five year period where additional data will be taken to track effects of; insect infestation, disease, wildlife browse and storm events.
- Invasive vegetation control: Through Best Management Practices participants will assist in control methods of European buckthorn using a specialized tool called an Extractagator This non-native invasive plant provides no nutritional value to wildlife, is very fast growing and will encroach and smother native plant material.
- All of these activities will allow participants to gain a greater understanding of stewardship at sites and begin to understand the concept of "don't just plant and walk away". Success of plant material involves being committed to an area much the same as taking care of the gardens and plants around your home.
- Wear closed toed sturdy footwear. Please do not wear sandals or flip flops to the event.
- Dress for the weather. You can dress in layers with a windbreaker and bring rain gear in case of rainy conditions.
- Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen are also good items to bring along.
- Previous volunteers are encouraged to wear their TD Tree Days t-shirt from last year.
Please bring the following items with you:
- Garden gloves will be provided, please feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
- A reusable water bottle.
- If you are bringing minors of which you aren't the parent/guardian, please download and print the Minor Participant Waiver and Photo Release forms (https://www.tdtreedays.com/minor-waiver-parent-not-accompanied-en.pdf) for parent/guardian signature. You must provide the signed forms to the TD Site Leader when you arrive at the event.
Thank you once again for volunteering.
We look forward to meeting you at the event!